Climate Change is no longer a debate, it is a fact. It is time to adapt our existing infrastructure to allow for a sustainable future before it is too late. If our children and future generations are to enjoy our beautiful planet the time to act is now.
In order to achieve a sustainable future, fewer natural resources and more human resources, in the form of intelligence and innovation, should be brought to the equation. While we are searching for more energy resources to meet the public demand under existing infrastructure, we ought to seek other alternatives. We need to re-engineer out of box solutions to transform our society to the next economy, an economy sustainable for all living creatures.
What’s needed is a roadmap for a sustainable future. Here are some objectives:
1) Revive existing economy: Without regaining our basic economic prosperity and human welfare, resources for creative reengineering will not be available. Although the current economic model is not perfect and has some detrimental environmental impacts, it is our existing foundation. It supports all related industries and supply chains. We need to re-start this engine to allow for the transformation to a more socially responsible model.
2) Minimize environmental impacts: The key is to minimize any detrimental environmental impact by bringing awareness to our society and governments. And we must assist these industries with research to mitigate negative impacts to Mother Earth and human health. Before the industrial revolution, civilization had been around for thousands of years, the wisdom behind this longevity should be revisited for our inspiration as well.
3) Out of Box innovations for reengineering: While we are patching up our current environmental issues, we need to collaborate on out of box innovations. Quality of life should be the key metric for our sustainable future. Not quantity of consumption. The entertainment industry is a good example; today we can download music and movies instead of mass production of CDs and DVDs. Similar innovations including social media engines for global communication and cloud based ERP & CRM systems for fully integrated financial reporting are also leading us to the next generation of economy. Many more will come to light when we apply human intelligence collaboratively and with determination.
4) Environmental rescuing missions: Today environmental impacts to the health of the entire eco systems are obvious and time is of the essence of our success for a sustainable future. The immediate rescue mission to restore the damaged environment shall be our first priority - including Amazon forest. A new industry of rescue missions shall be surface too; it is time to take actions, gather the resources and put compassion into practice.
5) Establishing International Coalition: When a major nature disaster happens, the whole world gathers despite the culture and religious differences. This basic human compassion shall be applied in the daily basis especially with the environmental challenges we face today. A sustainable future will not come into being when one society benefits as the others sacrifices. It is time to bring the whole world together for these joint efforts and with respect of all to work on this common goal and an ultimate world peace.
6) One World to Heal by All Mankind: The Global Reporting Initiative has established guidelines for corporations to report and meet their social responsibilities; XBRL citizen reporting also allows investors to understand how their investments impact sustainability. Measurement techniques to gather the statistics and monitor the progress of these efforts are also critical pieces to facilitate further collaboration within our society. With resolution and persistence from leaders in fighting climate change, these projects to restore the environment may stimulate more innovation. Human intelligence is the key. It is the one renewable resource that can and should be tapped constantly. This beautiful Mother Earth is our only home and we all are responsible to protect it.
Sustainable Society is a platform of knowledge sharing. Its mission is to support efforts toward sustainability and responsibility. The Society does this by: providing updates on efforts that are underway; gathering leaders for collaborative dialogues; and most importantly, bringing citizens together to work on this common cause.
I welcome the mentors, leaders, supporters, activists, industries, governments, researchers and everyone who inspires us with their dedication and determination. We benefit from their efforts; and awareness and appreciation of the issue are increased. A healthy, sustainable future for our children and many generations to come is the vision that we hold.
Chris (Christie) Chou Founder of Sustainable Society April 9, 2013