The Earth has a fine balance that humans at one time respected. The amount of environmental resources humans used was small enough that the Earth could replenish them. This changed once the industrial revolution began. Humans developed manufacturing methods that used vast amounts of the Earth’s natural resources, depleting the planet’s reserves. We are now consuming the Earth’s resources at such a fast rate that in just a couple of generations, there will be nothing left if we do not make changes.
In addition, industry is damaging the environment. Chemicals and fossil fuels are polluting the air, water and land, and contributing to global warming. If humans are to survive, we must get back in balance with Mother Earth. We need to come up with feasible solutions to save the environment.
Human development has affected every part of the Earth. To save the Earth, we must make changes on a grand scale. We must learn to live in harmony with nature. To do this, we have to change the way we live and think. We must consume less, reuse resources, utilize renewable sources of energy, and create cleaner methods of production. Innovative solutions are needed if we are to succeed in saving our world. Sustainable Society encourages companies and individuals to develop innovative solutions to achieve the following goals:
- Reserve open space for trees and animals
- Develop more sustainable farming practices that do not rely on harmful pesticides and chemicals
- Utilize biodegradable and recyclable packing for products
- Work with organizations to come up with solutions regarding deforestation
- Manufacture more efficient products such as lighter cars that use less materials to make and require less fuel to run
- Utilize renewable sources of energy such as wind and solar power
- Design buildings to utilize natural and low energy lighting, recyclable gray water systems, solar and wind power, tankless water heaters, and energy efficient appliances
- Build sustainable housing out of recycled and renewable materials
- Incorporate open nature areas into developments to preserve habitats
- Create community infrastructures that encourage walking, which benefits the environment and human health, and it encourages people to socialize
- Protect the ocean, land, air, and water from pollution
- Protect the shorelines from degradation
- Reduce consumption and recycle materials
Humans must consider how their actions affect the environment and commit to making the needed changes to reach a sustainable society.
We need to be less greedy and more thoughtful regarding our treatment of Mother Earth. By living more efficiently, we can preserve our planet for future generations.